Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

what to do to cure rising temperatures in frig/freezer

my Kenmore Pro 76509 side-by-side with bottom freezer drawer has rising temperatures, but seems to be running. is there a way I should open and vacuum out dust, dirt from coils that might solve this? nick
well first off do you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? look real good behind the food. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, but when I scrape my fingernail across the back panel it's a bit rough. that could be frost, but not much nick
yeah that could be frost and this means you have a defrost problem. when refrigerators dont defrost the frost builds up behind the panel and closes off the airflow. this make the rest of the refrigerator warm up. can you get the back panel off? there should be 1/4" screws holding it but you will need to remove the ice maker to get it out. do you think you can do it? also do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What look like vents inside are completely open. Don't have a voltmeter, just a battery checker. I can probably get the back panel off if you mean the OUTSIDE panel. nick
no you need to pull the panel off the inside of the freezer section unfortunately. if you can get it off you need to take a hair dryer and defrost all the frost off the coils and then plug it back in. this still leaves the cause open to question thats why you need a volt meter. the alternative is to unplug the refrigerator for about 24 hours with the freezer door open this will defrost it but the problem will come back in about 30 days. do you know the temps. in the freezer and fresh food section ,? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
73 and 3. I question the 73, but the 3 is probably right. What about the back panel on the lower outside? It's got several 1/4" nuts. nick
you can remove that and clean the coils underneath but 73 in the fresh food is way high, you deffinatley have a defrost problem. you need to defrost this one way or the other. do you have a place to move your food and then unplug it.?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since I don't think the 73 (it's now 72) is correct, I have put a room thermometer in the fresh section at 7:13 my time. I'm now going to remove the lower back panel and look around. Will clean out and defrost as needed. Be gone a few minutes. We can move some food to another frig. nick
ok Nick let me know i'll be up an little longer but have to hit the hay soon . allot of work tomorrow. let me know , thanks Bryan