Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GE icemaker #WR30X10093 (replacement part) does not activate

My GE icemaker #WR30X10093 (replacement part) does not activate the water fill. It makes and ejects ice if I hand fill it, so I know it has power.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is Bryan. let me check a few things. what is the model # XXXXX this refrigerator? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kenmore side-by-side(NNN) NNN-NNNN(or 4720, not sure)
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is this what you replaced? the entire ice maker assembly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, that is the new part -- the entire icemaker assembly.

Also, note: Original icemaker (WR30X0307) did an overfill after the fill indicater arm became jammed in the down position by ice. After that it stopped working. The replacement icemaker WR30X10093 has a 6-prong to 4-prong adaptor. As I said, it seems to work fine, except for not activating the fill switch.

Fill tupe appears to be free of ice. Also the water dispecser works, so water is coming into fridge. Is there another place the ice-fill water may be jammed, or is it a bad microswitch?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
if you replaced the entire ice make unit it has to be one of two reasons for not getting water. one the water valve is bad or two the water chiiler in the fresh food section is frozen the only other cause would be bad water filter. do you get water through the door? let me know thanks Bryan, ok got your last reply when I finnished typing this one. it has to be the water valve. this is a dual vale and one side of it runs the water in the door the other side runs the ice maker. you need to replace the valve. the part # XXXXX the water valve is
WR57X10051 this is what it looks like . its in the back where the water line connects the the refrigerator, hope this helps thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
did you recieve last post okay? Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I had to plce the deposit $ before I could read it.

As a matter of fact, I did have to replace that valve a couple months ago, due to a crack that formed in the original. I hate to have to buy anohter, but if you think that's what it is...

Note. I did draw water through the door dispenser. I also disconnected (at the switch) the 1/4" plastic line that runs up the back to the icemaker. A little water came out. Then I blew through the line -- there was no obstruction.

I'm just wondering if the microswitch on the new icemaker got damaged, as there was some cosmetic damage to the housing due to rough shipping.

REVISED -- NOTE: I just put the old (leaky) valve switch in, and it doesn't work either. Just to be sure, I tested the water dispenser side too, and it works, so power & water are fine.

I don't see how the problem can be the valve, since the old valve was working fine (just leaking) when I removed it a couple months ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
that could be a possibility now that you mentioned damage in shipping but i still tend to doubt that unless it was severe damage. there is something you can do to test the valve though. take the plug off the side that runs the water in the door and plug it in the side that runs the ice maker. then push the button for the water dispenser and see if water goes into ice maker. if it does the valve is good. I'm not sure on yours whether the connectors are the same size though. if there not and you have a couple of 1/4" connectors you can put them on an old light cord or something and just plug it into the wall and see if water comes through, try that and let me know, as far as accepting if you don't press accept I don't get paid just answer gets the money not me. I don't get it all anyway. only a portion of it goes to me if someone accepts. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Bryan, I just switched the plugs and water came into the icemaker just like you said, when I pressed the water dispenser button.

So that would seem to rule out the valve as the source of the problem.

I guess that's probably all you can do. I'll hit the accept button.

Maybe I should try putting th old icemaker back in and trying the same thing. I read (in here I think) that you have to get those old ones set with the teeth in the 4 o'clock position. Maybe it's just a matter of setting it right... Oh well.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is Bryan agian thanks for the accept , you and i can still work on this problem as long as you dont close the question just let me know what you find out, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
if you get water then the valve is ok. there may be something wrong with the new ice maker after all. is there a part # XXXXX the old ice maker? let me know I would like to see the old one if i can. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it.

Yes, the old one is a Kenmore WR30X0307 (8 cubes instead of the 7 in the new one).

For the record, I tried setting it (the old one) in various positions and it seemed to cycle through, as if it were getting power. Maybe ther'es a trick to getting it to reset?

Meanwhile, I already applied for a credit for the damaged new one, and told them not to send a replacement until I figured out what to do. If we can get the old one working again, I'll share some of the $avings with you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is this the plug setup you have on yours? did you have to use the extention plug on the new one. ? these sometimes dont plug in tight and if its not it wont run right. if that plug is not compltetly flush when its plugged into the side of refrigerator it wont run correctly.its hard to get all that extention up out of the way isnt it? stupid design. check the plug. let me know . I'll be here as long as you need me. did you take the old one appart? you said you set it in different positions how did you do that. also do you have a volt meter.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, that is the plug/pin design on the original. You're right about the adaptor that came with the new one; it's a pain in the butt. I did make sure it was all the way in, but am not happy with how loose it feels.

I put in the old icemaker and -- oddly enough -- it fills the tray. The only problem is that it WON'T STOP FILLING! So I took it out and put the new icemaker back in -- still no fill.

Yes, I have a voltmeter.

UPDATE: I just replaced the old valve with my new one -- the icemaker solenoid is not working! Maybe the origianl malfunction burned it out. So I cannabalized the old valve assembly and now have both solenoids working (on a non-leaky valve). Waiting to see if the icemaker will work.

I have to go drive my school bus in a few minutes, so won't be back on-line until 4:30 PST. Thanks for your help today.

-Brad

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well the reason I asked about the volt meter is to put it on voltage and put the leads in the plug that goes on the valve and let the ice maker cycle and see if at any time you get 110 volts to it. if not your ice maker you recieved is bad. let me no thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

Not getting volltage, but that's probably because I'm not using the meter correctly.

I did however swap solenoids from the old valve and the new one, and got it to work intermittently (the solenoid emits a brief hum when it's trying to cycle).

So I lubed the solenoid shaft with Pam, but that didn't help.

Then I swapped the water dispenser solenoid (blue) with the icemaker solenoid (red). (Q: Are they different, other than the color?)

Anyway, the icemaker water feed finally -- just now -- cyled on its own. The water level seems low, but what the heck. (Is there a way to adjust that?).

The water dispenser still works too. Not bad.

Thanks, Brad

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sounds like your valve isnt opening all the way thus not enough water. unless your filter is clogged you need to change the valve again unfortunately. do you have hard water ? this can gunk up the valve inside. at least its working somewhat no so you know the ice maker is good. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Guess I was wrong about the water level; the cubes finally popped out and appear normal. Took a long time though, but I'm not complaining.

I think I'll order another water valve though, as I'm still uncomfortable using two water-dispenser solenoids. Water isn't too hard up here (Western Washington).

I wasn't aware there was a filter in the system.

So it looks like it all boiled down to valve-solenoids, which your idea on swapping leads revealed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thats good! you may not have a filter on this some do some dont. send the are you using the new ice maker or the old one now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm using the new one. It arrived with a piece of housing broken off (was not packed well), so I got them to credit me for it.

I tried the old one yesterday again, and it failed to shut off after filling the tray -- which is what indicated a problem in the first place. I think this happened when the arm becamed jammed in the down position, behind a pile of cubes.

The new one has a side-swinging arm; a better design which should prevent that sort of problem.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay I know the one and your right, well its been real nice talking with you and helping you. good luck and come back if you need to. thanks again, and feedback is always welcome. bonuses too but not necessary, well wishes Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX was a pleasure.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thank you, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician