Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

GE side by side refridgerator model 27

Customer Question

The freezer section has ice buildup in the back and neither the freezer or the refridgerator sections are getting cold . what can be the problem and how do I solve this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
Hi, this is Bryan. this is a common problem with these refrigerators. you can fix this by yourself. you have a defrost problem. can you get me the full model # XXXXX the inside of refrigerator it should be on a silver or white tag inside . thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
TFX20J WWRBG
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
there is a 99% chance that your defrost heater has failed , this is the heater thats in your refrigerator and g.e. had to redisign the heaters because of failer. the fisrt thing you need to do is remove the rear panel inside the freezer section and take a hair dryer and dfrost all the ice on the coils then put panel back on and plug refrigerator back in and let refrigerator coil back down , you have to replace the heater with the new double heater. but until you get on defrosting it will make it run correctly until you can get the heater.if you need instructions on testing the heater in yours i can help if you have a volt meter and know how to use it. let me know thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
hers the heater. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you will see this at the bottom of the coils.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
PLEASE DESCRIBE THE HEATER TO ME AND HELP ME WITH TESTING IT
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok the heater is behind the panel in the freezer section. remove the panel and at the bottom of the silver coils you will see this. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is the heater. it may be cvered with frost take the hair dryer and defrost the ice on this. there are two screws holding this in. remove the screws and unplug the wires test for continuity between the two spades the the wires plug into. if no continuity then the heater is bad. you can order the heater at this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-TFX20J+WWRBG+-%3d%3di1399613&PartID=1399613 hope this helps.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i TRIED THE LINK TO PURCHASE THE HEATER AND i'M HAVING PROBLEMS
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok let me try again, try this and put in your model # XXXXX it asks at the top left. http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i THINK IT IS BECAUSE i HAVE A CANADA POSTAL CODE
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I HAVE ACCEPTED DO I HAVE TO PAY TWICE?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
that very well could be. are you not able to reach the site or cant find the part? you already accepted thanks dont pay again I'm still here to help. Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I DON'T THINK THAT THE WEBSITE ACCEPTS CANADA POSTAL CODES FOR SHIPPING SO I AM UNABLE TO PROESS MY ORDER IF IT IS POSSIBLE I CAN PAY YOU THE COST OF THE PART PLUS SHIPPING AND HANDLING SO THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE THE HEATER FOR ME

I HAVE ALREADY DONE EVERYTHING YOU SUGESTED EXCEPT FOR THE REMOVAL AND TESTING OF THE HEATER WHICH I WILL DO AS SOON AS I GET OFFLINE WITH YOU

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well i'm noy able to do that but I will pm one of our techs in Canada and he can probably tell you where to get it there. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

OK PLEASE HAVE THE TECH CALL ME AT XXX-XXX-XXXX OR(NNN) NNN-NNNNMY NAME IS WILBERT

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BRIAN I REALLY APPRECIATE IT

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
your welcome.thanks Bryan
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hi

where in Toronto do you liveI can send you

To an appliance parts dealer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I LIVE IN pICKERING JUST 15 MINUTES FROM tORONTO
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

Hi

Theres a parts store on brock rd

Just south of Bayly

In the plaza to the right

The owners name is JAY

Tell him the Appliance doctor sent you

Give him the model #

He will fix you up

The name of the store

Pickering appliance

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
tHANK YOU ,I'M ON MY WAY
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
No problem
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Say hi for me