Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

how to tighten refrigerator door handle which has gradually

how to tighten refrigerator door handle which has gradually become "wobbly" over time
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
What is the model number of the unit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model No. is GRH-122
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
What make is this unit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Modern Maid Tri-Cold Built-in Side-by-Side 3 door Refrigerator/Freezer</p><p> </p><p>It's the long vertical bar handle ehich has become loose, and needs instructions for tightening</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Refrigerator/Freezer otherwise works fine.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

In the diagram below item 30 is your handle , there should be a few screws on the side that you can tighten, Item 29 which the parts diagram shows but does not list looks like a pop off cover that should come off with gently prying at the top or bottom...

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You have forwarded an email with picture of the "Lower Freezer Door". The door i need to fix is the "Refrigerator Door". Please send pertinent pictuyre and instructions of where to find mounting screws or attachments, and under which part of the unit's door gasket.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry here is the correct diagram for the ref door...

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the refrigerator door diagram. Please describe which # XXXXX item in the diagram is the door handle, and list steps to take to access the handle mounting screws, so that I can do the repair. Please advise of whether the door must be taken apart to access the mounting screws, or whether instead the mounting screws are accessible through partly removing the white flexible door gasket
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your sending the right diagram for the refrigerator door. It's not clear from the enlarged picture which of the numbered parts is the door handle and where the attachment screws are. Please give information about which number part is the handle, and about where the attachment screws for the handle are.Please give steps of which parts of the door need to be removed to get at the handle-attachmnent screrws.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
You will need to remove #40 which should be held on by #38 screw near the bottom hinge. From the diagram this will allow you to remove #39 then, after that the outer door panel should be able to be slid out a little way to give access to the door handle on the fresh food door. you should not have to remove the door gasket from what I see in this diagram, this is an older unit and the diagrams are not as good as the modern ones available now...
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech