John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have to replace the water mixing valve on my Kenmore washing

Customer Question

I have to replace the water mixing valve on my Kenmore washing machine model No. 23912. I can't figure out how to get in to the back of the washer. How do I get started?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Do you have the water valve

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Here is how you get to the valve

Hope i answered the question

Please accept

The appliance doc

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. The link was helpful and I have gotten the valve replaced. Right now though I am about to lose my mind trying to get the cabinet set back on the base straight where it all lines up in back etc. I literally have been at it for an hour. Can you tell me, does the cabinet set on top of the frame or is it to catch underneath somehow. That doesn't seem to make sense as there would be nothing to keep it from setting on the floor. Seriously, I am about to go insane with this.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Stand in front of the washer.

with the cabinet tilted towards you.'the lid open and your hands in the opening of the washer,with your feet.push the bottom of the washer under the front lip.Now push the cabinet towards the back,So it touches the back.Line up the holes for the brass clips

Install the brass clips

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks again. I thought that I had it, put the whole back together and as I tried to push it back the front pulled up from the bottom again. I think I am going to have to come back to it in the morning though, my fingers and the insides of my knees are raw from lifting the cabinet up over and over again trying to reseat it. And, my patience is long gone!

On the bright side, I checked the water connections and all seems to be well. No leaks. Hot and cold water.

Again, thanks for your help and the links.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Do you have the back off

As well If you do put the back on first.

There was no need for the

back to come off

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No. I didn't have the back off, but it was leaning back of course away from the cabinet while the clips were off.

Your instructions last night were very helpful and I was able to get it seated properly on the third or so try this morning. Knowning that the front lip had to be pushed up under the front lip of the washer helped tremendously. For some reason I was convinced that the back had to be lined up first. ARG...

Anyway, thank you. It is all back together and hopefully I didn't pull any thing loose in the process. I'm going to try a load now, so praying there will be no water on the floor when I go back!

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
great good luck