master appliance tech
master appliance tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  6 years+ in home service own and operate my own in home appliance repair company

How to replace Hotpoint washer (model VWXR4100T6WB) on/off knob

On/off knob only spins--unable to turn on washer. Would you recommend replacing it myself? If so, please provide instructions.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  master appliance tech replied 7 years ago.
well you probably need the timer with out being there i really don't know. what is the is the model#?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Model VWXR4100T
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, I can pull the knob off (without breaking) and replace the clip. Then it should work?
maybe i don't know what is going on with it tho if the knob is striped out then ya but if it is something in the timer then no replacing the knob wont work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Here is the scenario....

Position of knob was off at optional spin cycle. I pulled the knob out to start the wash cycle, however, the knob kept spinning--not reaching mark to start normal load. Since, it was pulled on at spin cycle it started to wash.

Sorry, to ask so many questions, but I always try to fix things myself and it costs me much more later. If I can get a real assessment of being able to do the work, I'd like that. Thanks.

what you need to know is if the knob is striped out or not. you also need to know if your timer is working hard to explain how to tell if it is or not but you need to take the knob off and look at it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, I'll do that...thanks for your help.
no problem good luck