Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a 11 year old Maytag Performa PAV 1000 top-load washer

I have a 11 year old Maytag Performa PAV 1000 top-load washer that is constantly going out of balance and walking across the basement floor. I took the inspection panel off the back and all six springs are attached and the leverer bar appears to be working. Any ideas why this is happening and can it be fixed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Does the unit bang around during the spin cycle or is just walking
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just starts walking due to the load getting out of balance. This happens on just about every load now.

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
This is an old machine, can you tilt the machine up and look underneath the unit, where the big pulley is, if there is a white cap installed pull it off and see if there is anything in it, if so you transmission is going bad and leaked oil onto the snubber ring making it to slippery for proper operation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I pulled the cap off and it is completely dry and nothing inside the cap.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Did you see any white powder like substance inside the inspection plate or on the floor underneath?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, nothing in the cap or on the floor.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Does it try to walk when the machine is empty?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, only when the load gets unbalanced. But, it seems to happen on almost all loads.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
I would replace the belt on the machine and also the snubber ring, the belt is easy to do, however the snubber ring requires a special tool to remove the spings on the tub so they don't get stretched out of shape and another special tool to remove the brake system which is under a lot of pressure so the snubber could be replaced, with the correct tools this can be done in under 1 hour, however I think by the time you buy the 2 special tools necessary to replace this part it may be cheaper to have a service company install them for you....
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech