Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I HAVE GE PROFILE COOK TOP MODEL #JP636 SERIAL #MA7981070 AND

Customer Question

I HAVE GE PROFILE COOK TOP MODEL #JP636 SERIAL #MA7981070 AND THE GAS SEEMS TO NOT COME OUT WHEN TURNING ON THE BURNERS. THE LITTLE SPARKERS OR CLICKERSWORK ALLTHE TIME BUT SOME TIME GAS WONT COME OUT TO IGNITE. BIT WHEN I UNPLUG IT AND PLUG IT BACK IN IT ALL WOKS JUST FINE. HOWEVER, THE PROBLEM HAS GOTTEN PROGRESIVLY WORSE TO WHERE IT WONT LIGHT AT ALL, UNLESS I PLAY WITH IT FOR 15 MIN. IT HAS BECOME VERY FRUSTRATING. I AM VERY MACHANICLY INCLINED. CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE. THANK YOU.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok so first of all unplugging the machine will only reset the spark system not the gas. The reason why is because the gass is not mechanical--- if the knob turns and it's not seized then it works. I have yet to hear of a mechanical valve speradically working. So I guess we're back to figuring out if the problem is lack of spark or lack of gas. If this is a problem with multiple burners and not just one then I would automatically rule out the gas problem right there.

If you turn on the switch so that it sparks you will notice that all the burners spark. That's just how this system is designed. That being said, when you turn one on it will make the click even if only 1 of the burners is sparking (even if it's not the one that you are trying to light). This sounds like a spark module issue if it's more than one burner. If it's just one burner then we're back to determining if it's lack of gas or lack of spark. The next time it doesn't work you will have to look at the spark and varify that you actually see a spark coming out of the tip. If you don't then either your electrode (spark tip) is bad, the wire is bleading off underneath the cooktop and sparking before it gets to the burner, or the module itself isn't sending a spark to a particular burner sometimes.

If this relates to all the burner then again you're looking at the spark module and nothing else.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IHAVE SPARK IN ALL BURNERS BUT WHAN THERE IS NO GAS THERE IS NO GAS IN ALL BURNERS THEY JUST SPARK
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok so that's a bit more information that helps a lot. So you are saying when the gas stops the gas stops to everything on the unit.

Can you look under your cooktop and find a sticker to give me the full number so I can trace back this gas line and see what can affect all the burners?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THE ONLY OTHER # XXXXX HAVE IS WEU7WW OR TRY G095-8 AND 911:33255 AND 598589. AND THE GAS DOES NOT JUST SHUT OFF. IT WONT COME ON WHEN TRYING TO LIGHT. ONE TIME IT WILL AND THEN THE NEXT TIME OR TWO IT WONT.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

hi, this is Bryan , are you able to lite the burner with a match? I believe if you cant you have a bad gas regulator, I've had to replace these before. if your not getting gas which I believe you said your not its not the spark module. let me know if your burner is lighting with a match, thanks Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok so after looking at the gas line there isn't a whole lot that can stop the gas flow to all the burner--- it is straight tubing from the moment it gets into the unit to the moment it goes out the burners with the exception of it splitting and going through all 4 burner valve. That being said, it sounds like your regulator valve might be acting irregularly. The regulator valve is the part that tries to make sure the amount of gas flow is consistant reguardless of how many burners you have on. This regulator is the part located directly under your cooktop, its usually a 4 X 4" device that the gas line directly connects into from your house. Here is the part you will need for this model.

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I would appreciate if you post on the complains forum and retract your payment because as I was looking over your unit and finding you the part this gentleman stepped in and took your payment.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry my counterpart was giving you wrong info. as you can see by his last post he only now after I told you it wasnt your spark module is he asking you the right questions. please disregard and if you need more info just me, thanks and well wishes. Bryan
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
quote:

end quote

meaning I was waiting for his model number so I could check out the gas line system as I stated in my previous post. Because if I can provde a link and type all that information in less than 2min and 2 seconds that's rather increadable. The first model number didn't work I used the second and had to go to the sears website because it was a sears model number which is why it took so long.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
still trying to get you to answer him, dont bother if you have any further questions just ask a-1 speedy appliance (Bryanpaul52) thanks