Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Last night our washing machine started smoking during the spin

Customer Question

Last night our washing machine started smoking during the spin cycle. The smell was awful, and then it quit. We have a fairly new Maytag Performa, about 6 years old. Is this most likely a motor issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
most smoking issues are related to the belt itself. On the maytag performa you can tip the machine backwards so that you can access the bottom. Remove the belt and spin each pulley--- the one on the right is the pump, the one on the left is the motor and the one in the middle is the transmission. The one on the left and right should spin freely with no friction. The one in the middle should spin but there will be resistance. If any of them dont function right then you need to replace that component. You may even need a belt if it burned a spot in it.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the pump, motor and transmission all appear to have the right spin. the belt doesn't appear to have any burn marks on it, but there does appear to be fragments of belt on some of the pulleys. when i replugged in the machine today after putting the belt back on all the elements on the control dial appeared to be working. whereas last night after filling our laundry room with smoke none of the settings on the control dial worked and the tub was left full of clothes and water. We get a terrible screech sound everytime the tub stops spinning at the end of a cycle (a belt like sound). do you think it could be a different belt or most likely the main belt? thanks in advance for your response.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
the screaching is actually the break--- you need a specialty tool that costs about $100 to change it out but the part only runs about $15.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it your feeling then that the break could be the source of the smoke? I'm guessing you'd recommend replacing the main belt as well as the break. how difficult is the access to the break?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
I don't think the break would cause a problem with the smoke--- It's hard to explain but basically if the washer is trying to spin the break gets picked upward so that it's no longer holding--- if the break wasn't moving upward it would be more related to that middle pulley system called the thrust bearing kit.

Again the brake is impossible to access without the specialty tool and even with the specialty tool your looking at about an hour.