applianceguy
applianceguy, Customer Service
Experience:  Ten Years experience. Certified in most major brands Including Whirlpool Frigidaire maytag Amana.
9557001

What is the normal internal temperature for a gas dryer sold

Customer Question

What is the normal internal temperature for a gas dryer sold in 2004 (most likely made in 2004), and most likely is a Kenmore dryer (model unknown). Does it start at a certain temperature and get hotter or cooler as it goes on? This would except the cool down cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  applianceguy replied 5 years ago.
If the dryer is set to hign heat, it should cycle off around 150-170. After it cycles off it will drop down around 120-140. The dryer will cycle like this untill it gets down to the cool down.
applianceguy, Customer Service
Experience: Ten Years experience. Certified in most major brands Including Whirlpool Frigidaire maytag Amana.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If a dryer is defective, how high can the internal temperature get in the dryer

drum area (where the clothes would be)?

If the thermostats are bad I have seen over 200, then I shut it down.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does it have a thermal cut-off that shuts it down, or a circuit breaker within the unit?
Thermostat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I have a dryer that caught the clothing inside on fire. The clothing consisted of small cotton towels. The towels in the dryer caught fire apparently from the gas dryer reaching a higher than intended internal temperature. I was told that the dryer was on the medium setting as the owner wanted the towels to last as long as possible. The dryer was shut off shortly before the owner left at the breaker panel. Approximately 2 hours later the shop was on fire. The fire damage and burn patterns all point to the clothes dryer as the area of origin. The clothing inside the dryer was burned.

If the regular internal temperature of a dryer is between 150-170 degrees than these items should not have caught fire. If they did catch fire then the internal temperature would be considered higher than usual and most likley a result of a malfunction or manufacturer's defect. I was wondering how hot these appliances can get.

Thanks!

I would be looking at the dryer vent as a POSSIBLE CAUSE for the fire, or the dryer being pluged up with lint.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have considered this especially as this is a gas dryer, however there are a few models that Kenmore produced that have had failures.
That I cannot answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That makes sense since you were not at the scene, and I cannot ask you speculate.

I wonder if you could tell me "hypothetically" how hot a dryer could get if it malfunctioned.

Thanks

I am sorry but I could not even guess on something like that. I have never seen something like you're thinking. Were there any flammables on the towels?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was told that none were applied to the towels, but rather used exculsively on cotton balls that were disposed of. The towels were only used for dryer customer's hands, feet and to put on the headrest of chairs.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think that I am good unless there is anything else you can think of.

Thanks.

No sorry.