william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

How do I replace an ignition switch in a hot water tank

ruud pvp 40-1 Gas hot water heater. We get up in the morning to NO hot water. I follow the steps to re-ignite the burner and it lights. That lasts for a few days, then back to cold water. It has been replacedtwice since 1996. I want to do it myself instead of paying $250.00
the ignition switch # XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.

the problem would be in your gas valve alls your switch does is lights it you need to check into your gas valve hope this helps and check into a thermal coupler but i would change the thermal coupler first

If you have found this info helpful then please press GREEN ACCEPT button, this is how EXPERTS are paid for helping you.
I work harder so you won't have to!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can I replace the gas valve or is this something a serviceman needs to do? Or can I replace the thermal coupler without too much trouble? What would those steps be?
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.

i would start with the thermal coupler first there not that much you can buy that at your local hardware or lowes home depo thet have instructions you can change this yourself just remember to shut the gas off hope this helps

If you have found this info helpful then please press GREEN ACCEPT button, this is how i get paid for helping you.
If you dont reference the right ground,you could spend time and money chasing a problem that never existed in the first place.
I work harder so you won't have to! Thank-you and have a good day!