Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

Water heater will run but will shut off and pilot lite will

Water heater will run but will shut off and pilot lite will go out have relite 5 times will run for a while but wont completely heat tank then all goes out
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
may i have the model number off your unit please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
kenmoreNNN-NN-NNNN
can you relite the pilot as soon as it goes out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

as soon as we relize it goes out yes it will relite havent actually seen it go out and try right then

you have a bad gas valve ,,, the part number for it is F145-1278 and it cost about $90.00 at www3sears.com ,,,,, you will need to drain the water heater to do the swap ,,,, hope this helped / larry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
with a bad gas valve it will run then when not running pilolt will go out
the gas valve controls the gas to the pilot and burner ,,, all else will work / larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok just wondered because i notice flame on burner will turn amber then back to blue and it should be blue all the time correct

right ,,, the gas is cuttin down and back up due to the valve / thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

also i finnaly just all went out agian but as you mentioned the pilot didnt want to stay lite as soon as it went out i had to try a couple times and hold button down for pilot to stay lite

if it was the themocuple then it would not relite so it will be the valve / larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks agian for your help
you are most welcome and dont forget to hit the accept button for me and leave pos feedback if i helped / thanks
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service