Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Maytag Model MDBH965AWW Dishwasher that will not operate.

Customer Question

Maytag Model MDBH965AWW Dishwasher that will not operate. Breaker is on. Switch is on - unit has power everywhere it should. How can I tell if board needs replaced?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes - husband has several and unit has power. Just don't want to spend $ on board if not necessary. It just stopped mid-cycle one night.

Remove the inner door panel and tes for 120 volts at the black wire on the control board to ground.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Board has power at every connection. Assembly that locks door has power. Hubby unscrewed board to examine other side of ribbon and it has 1/8 in. black spot that looks like it could interrupt power in at least two pathways. The ribbon looks as if this end is built into the door with no immediately visible way to replace/remove.
You can not just replace the ribbon you have to replace the whole touch pad.
16-919838PANEL, CONTROL (WHT) (Series: 10) Special-Order$ 63.45Add to Cart
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, we figured that out and found it here:

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-MDBH965AWW-%3d%3dc281i1469728&PartID=1469728

but in this photo (your link didn't have a photo), if you look at alternate view there appears to also be some sort of black spot on the ribbon. There is no screw hole behind the ribbon - I checked because that's what I thought it was.

I don't want to purchase the touch pad if it is the board and vice versa.

The problem is with the touch pad 90% of the time not the board. If you have power to the control board I would say it has to be the touch pad. How old is this dishwasher.
Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= (Click to enlarge)
Grid is 1 inch square
Item #
1469728
Price
$87.20
In Stock?
No (B)
Panel- con
Qty
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About 3 years. We've also had issues with the touch pad on our smooth top double oven range that we bought at the same time. We bought all new Maytag appliances when we remodeled our kitchen because I thought they were supposed to be reliable.
Refer to the use and care manual but this touchpad should have a 5 year warranty
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, found it, but does it have to be diagnosed & repaired by "certified Maytag Repair Person" or can the hubby do it and still get it replaced under warranty?

Thanks so much!
You know you might be able to call maytag and ask them if they will mail you the part because I know that the trip charge and labor arent cover by warranty. The control board should have a 5 year warranty on it to and if you call a repairman out he might just replace both of them.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right - it says in my users guide that only the part is covered. I'll call tomorrow and see what I can find out. If it has to be diagnosed by a certified repair person, it'd probably be cheaper to just pay for the touch pad and have hubby fix it.

Thanks for all of your help!
Your welcome.