How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chas Your Own Question
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 16403
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Chas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a ge/frigidaire (Model FRS26RLECS) refrigerator. Yesterday

This answer was rated:

I have a ge/frigidaire (Model FRS26RLECS) refrigerator. Yesterday it lost its ability to keep things cold. Every couple of minutes there is a loud hum followed by a click. Any suggestions?
Thank you for requesting me, I will be more than happy to assist you today. The humming and clicking you are hearing is coming from the overload/start relay, most times replacing this item on the unit will fix the problem, more than 95% of the time, the other 5% is going to be the compressor is bad and then will require a certified tech to do this. however the part that I believe is bad is part numberNNN-NN-NNNN and can be purchased at or, This is only a 2 wire hook up and should get you cooling again in no time at all...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The apwagner site has an error and the repairclinic site does not have this part in stock. Is it reasonable to think that local appliance repair shops would have it? Also, where is this part located on the refrigerator? In the same area as the compressor?
Now that is interesting, I keep this part on my truck, I have looked also, you may be able to find it locally, Any part supply house will have them hopefully. If not has them in stock... This part is attached to the side of the compressor and snaps on...
Chas and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I will try to locate one tomorrow!
Have a nice day, Glad I could HELP....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I sucessfully replaced the part as you suggested. Not too much of a problem. The refrigerator starting working again and all was good. Then 5 days ago we started to hear the same loud humming sound as before. Earlier tonight we noticed that the refiregerator was making the noise more frequently and that it was no longer cooling.


In other words, it seems like the same part has failed again. Is this a symptom of a larger problem? or should I simply replace the same part again?

Do not bother replacing the part again, it is now in the 5% catagory of a bad compressor. You will need to have a service company come out to do this repair as you need to be EPA Certified. Warning though this repair will most likely cost over $500 if there is no warranty left on the unit.....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not exactly the response I was hoping for, but I appreciate the honesty. Smile


Perhaps it is time to purchase a new one where I will get a new warranty. This one only lasted just over 4 years.

You may still have the warranty on it if it is only 4 years old. A lot of these units came with 5 year sealed system warranty parts and labor, check your owners manual to be sure....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We were actually just checking that. Do you think that the fact I replaced the other part will void my warranty in any way?
No it will not void that part because you replaced a part, You have not messed with the sealed system...
Chas and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will call in the AM to try and schedule a repair. Thanks again for your help.

You are welcome,,,Let me know how it goes...