Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my maytag dryer works fine but has a high pitched squeal when

my maytag dryer works fine but has a high pitched squeal when it is running. the temperature and drying time is normal, except for this awful sound. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
do you have a model number so I can better assist you? On Maytag's they typically list the model number on a stick and can be seen if you open the dryer door.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the model # XXXXX XXXXX SN#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
So on this model it's usually one of 2 items that will squeek. First possibility is the drum roller and it looks like this

CLICK HERE

The other possibility and much more likely is the idler pulley it looks like this.

CLICK HERE

To access these components just open the dryer door. There are 2 screws going through the hinges and 2 going through the oposite side. Remove these 4 screws and the door will pull up and off. Then pull the front panel straight foward and it will unclip. From there you can see the 4 5/16" screws holding the front drum support on--- remove that. Then pull the drum out so you can see the components I'm talking about. Spin them by hand and you will be able to see which one is bad.