Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

My washer only works on delicate wash. The other washer settings

My washer only works on delicate wash. The other washer settings just fill up with water and the dial moves but nothing happens. You can hear a click like it is trying to was but it doesn't.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

hi al,what model # XXXXX you have?

the timer does advance to off?

thx

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The time does advance but nothing happens except on delicate. I have a Maytag Model # XXXXX
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

Hi,its either a bad timer not sending power to the motor or the motor reg winding is the problem,on the delicate cycle the motor uses a slow winding,the other cycles use the reg winding,does the machine spin fine on all settings? or problems as well?

im not sure how handy you are but i can give you the service manual

thx Randy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I manualy turn the timer I can hear the motor try and start, (like a hum) when I get to the wash cycle and the rince cycle. So most likly the motor??
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

sounds like it ,if it humming its getting power,remove the front panel and just double check the wiring make sure its tight going to the motor first

2 screws on the bottom of the front panel and it will pull out from the bottom

any questions let me know

thx randy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could it be the cluch or trans? I just tried it again and it didn't was on normal but it did spin and rince which it didn't do before. Its like some times if will some times it won't work. Also is it even worth fixing the motor is $108 and the washer is 12 years old, if it turns out not to be the motor then the timer is $110. A new washer is $400 or $500?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

Yes,its possible the tub bearing is gummed up,transmission shaft could be scoured up and the motor is having a hard time turning,bigger loads and full water it can just hum and not start

i didnt realize the machine was 12 years old,lifespan on avg is 8-10 years old,washers are more mechanical and dont last as long as some other appliances

you can get into a situation where you drop a few hundred dollars and every few months something else goes,i ve seen that happen quite a bit,it might be a good idea to get a new one

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert