Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a Thermador CMT 21 oven. The bake element located in

Customer Question

I have a Thermador CMT 21 oven. The bake element located in the upper oven will not work. Regardless of wether I command the bake or broil element to work, the broil element is the one that heats up. The bake element was replaced less than 1 year ago, when the previous one suffered a meltdown.   I have just replaced the selector switch hoping for an improvement, but without results.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.
Hello if you just replaced the switch and the broil element works the bake element is bad. I dont know why but i have gone back out only three months on two of these units to replace a element again. You will need to replace the element to resolve your issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This answer does not answer the main question. That is, why does the top element fire up in both the bake and the broil mode. The top should fire only when broiling (and when self cleaning) The bottom should fire up when in bake mode. (self cleaning as well) Again, why is the top element firing up when in bake mode?
The broil element comes on 30% of the time in bake mode and the bake element is on 70% of the time this is how the unit holds a steady temp through out the baking process.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a relay between the switch / thermostat and the heating elements?
No the switch sends power the power goes through the thermostat and the element heats up. If the broil works and the switch is new the element is bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am pulling the element, and will take a resistance measurement. I will get back in 10 minutes or so. Thanks for your help !
You bet post back.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Results ! It does not appear to be the element, but rather the wire has burned away from the spade clip attached to the element. Any advice that you can offer with regards XXXXX XXXXX I would get this kind of hi-temp clip, as well as where I could get hi-temp wire to spice ?
Yes you found the issue i knew it had to do with something down at the element. You can get the new terminal and wire at the local hardware store they will carry the parts you need. Good luck to you.
Experience: Factory Trained CFC Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much !!!

It has been my pleasure to have had your assistance.
Your welcome and good luck to you!