Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My washing machine will not go to the spin cylcle unless I

My washing machine will not go to the spin cylcle unless I open the lid and turn the dial back around to the spin cycle. I do not have to re adjust the load so I know it is not out of balance. It started off doing this ocassionally but now it happens every load. It is a kenmore series 80
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 8 years ago.
Hello what is the model number on the white sticker under the lid straight back? Also does the timer stop at rinse/spin?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Model # XXXXX; ser# XXXXX

The dial appears to be after the spin cycle...the water is pumped out, but the clothes are still ringing wet, like they haven't spun.

Ok check the hinge on the left side it contacts the lid switch when you close the lid if the screws are tight you will need to replace the lid switch to fix your issue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I've already checked the screws...that's not it. Could the switch be corroded?

What if it stops and the selector is still on the spin cycle? My wife says it stops in the off position, I say it stops on the spin position.

No the switch is not corroded its bad this unit has a pretty common issue with the lid switch going bad you will need to replace the lid switch to resolve your issue. Take the model number to the local appliance parts house they will be able to get the part for you.