Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

I have a Maytag Neptune stacked washer dryer. Model MLE2000AYW.

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Neptune stacked washer dryer. Model MLE2000AYW. Lately, it is taking two cycles to dry clothes. We typically dry clothes on medium and have never ha d a problem before. There is heat, but it takes 2 cycles to dry as compared to having dry clothes after one cycle. No change in load sizes or anything. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomerthe most common problems with long dry times are related to the venting,too long plugged up,vent opening not opening properly? if the outside exhaust has a screen make sure its not plugged

other than that it may be plugged internally,in the lint filter housing

if the vent is clear,you can remove vent at back of dryer and try a few loads,some lint will come out but it will determine if the dryer or venting is at fault

let me know

thx randy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the air flow and there is plenty of damp air moving out the vent. I pulled the duct apart and there wasn't enough significant lint build up to hamper drying. We also checked the vent a couple of days ago when it first started thinking ice build up keeping the vent from opening, but that wasn't it.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 7 years ago.

Hi if your sure the vent is clear and airflow is good,the heater is just a coil,it works or it doesnt,i would suspect a thermostat problem,cycling thermostat or a weak high limit,not to common but if everything else checks out,nothing more left

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I feel funny, as a firefighter/paramedic, and I can't fix a dryer. Sorry to bother again, but while researching this problem I found this has a moisture control borad. Could that be out. Just finished another very damp load infact. I noticed that we always use the "Intellidry" setting. Could something be wrong with that. I am now drying on timed setting to see what it does.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 7 years ago.

yes it could,thats a good test your doing,on timed dry if it works ,the sensor may have some lint in behind it causing faulty readings

let me know what happens on timed

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, it's been running on timed for about 10 minutes and the dryer is as cold as the laundry inside of it. So I suspect that something is a miss with the heating element.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 7 years ago.

your not running it at the latter part of timed? some models that a air fluff cycle,no heat ,if so try it at the start of timed 50-60 minutes

can you put it on high heat,see what happens if its on med

heater is a coil so it cant work half way,either works or not,unless it was shorted to the frame at some point

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I set the dryer on regular (high) setting for 60 minutes, when we spoke about 15 minutes ago. Still no heat. Even on high for 20 minutes, there is no heat.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 7 years ago.

Hi,the machine doesnt stop mid cycle does it? there is a bulletin on that problem

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nope, it runs continually for the cycle. Here's the goofy part I just found out. There is no heat on the timed dry, but plenty of heat when set back to "Intellidry" setting.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 7 years ago.

But is that the cycle you said wasnt working before?,that means the voltage and heater is fine,did you always use timed before? i thought you used the other cycle,but if not problem could be timer then,here is a manual if your wanting to do a few checks

let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have never really used timed drying before, except for the wrinkle release setting at about 15 minutes. We always used the "Intellidry" setting which has had heat, but taking longer times to dry. This was the first time I noticed no heat on timed setting.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 7 years ago.

strange problem,could be faulty thermostat,cutting out early and not coming back on ,maybe timer,its hard to say,heater is ok if some heat,if not working on different cycle sounds like timer or thermostat