Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Periodically my freezer drain freezes up causing the excess

Periodically my freezer drain freezes up causing the excess defrosted water to develop into ice which continues to flow and build ice until it reaches the freezer door beneath the bottom tray. It's only at this time that I actually see what's happening. I've remove the back cover in the freezer and defrosted the coils which are coated with ice and the bottom drain isCustomertoo. I've cleaned it up several times now. What can I do. The freezer setting is at 5 deg F and refrigerator is at 38 deg F.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
it's just a bad design by many manufacturers. They are too cheap to had a heat probe. What many technicians do is wrap a copper wire around the heater and extend it 2 inches into the drain line. This transfers a little bit of heat into the drain line when the heater turns on to melt the ice in the drain line if any starts to devolope.