Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have a GE side by side. Water is getting to the Smartfilter,

Customer Question

I have a GE side by side. Water is getting to the Smartfilter, but I dont see it running into the ice tray. Nor do I hear anything when I press the pedal in to get some water. I need help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
have you just replace the filter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. This frig is 3 years old and I purchased it used. I did remove the filter and put it back on. I then pushed the reset button for 3 seconds.
so your not getting water out the door or to the icemaker / right
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct. I see what looks to be a spout that leads to what I think is the ice tray and i've waited and no water inters the ice tray.
may i have the model number from your fridge?

push in on the water lever and see if you hear a buzz
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok new development. I now have water in the ice tray, but no water in the door. Do you still need the model number?
yes please .... did you hear the buzz when you pushed in the water lever ,,,, i bet if you hold it in you will new get water too
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model # XXXXX SS
ok ,,, while i look up this model number put a glass under the water and hold the lever in
did the water ever break loose and come into the glass
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No water. Should I hear a pump trying to pup the water?

did the icemaker and water in door quit at same time or water in door first
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not sure. The water had be disconnected for a while and I just reconnected the water, but now I have water in the ice tray, so I assume it will freeze and hopefully push the ice cubes out and continue to make more ice. When I push the ice button I can hear the motor to dispense the ice one it's frozen.....i hope. I need water to dispense.

the icemaker will be ok ,,, i have one more question and i can tell you what it will take to fix the fridge ,,,,,,,slide the fridge out and where the water line is you hooked up, hold you hand as close as possable to the end to where it's hooked to the valve, have someong to push the lever for water and see if you feel it buzzing and let me know ,, i'll be on here a little longer / larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I'll try it right now and get back to you asap. I'm tired to...
i'll be here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not hear/feel a buzz, but I did hear a tick everytime we push he pedal in.
ok ,, we are done ,,,, you have a bad water valve ,, part number is XXXXX and it cost about $51.00 and you can get one local or online at www3.sears.com ,,,,,,, that will fix your fridge ,,,, now we are both done haha ,,,,,,, have a good evening and dont forget to hit the accept button for me ...... Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Larry where is the value located on the frige?
the water valve is the part on the back of the fridge you hooked the water line to ,, larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I hooked the water line to the valve on the wall that's maybe a $4-5 part from lowes. And it's getting plenty of water to the ice maker. Help me understand how this valve can cost $51.00 and be bad if I'm getting water to the ice maker?

the water valve is at the end of the water line on the fridge ,,, it has two coils on the valve ,, one for icemaker and the other for the water in the door ,,, the side for the icemaker is working but the other side isnt ,,,, to replace it you have to cut the water off and take the back cover off the fridge to access the valve and take the screw out holding it on and swap the wire plugs and the water lines ,,,, its a easy fix and then you will also have water at the door / larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This makes sense now. Why would I swap the wires and the water lines...to test the water dispenser?

no ... you will swap the wires from the old valve onto the new one
do you have anymore questions before i log off ,,,, if not please hit the accept and i can log off for the night but if you need to know anything else i'll be here waiting to hear one way or the other / larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Almost done. The two coils, one is red that goes to the ice maker and the other is blue that goes to the water dispenser. They look like they're molded into the valve, so I need to remove the bracket the valve is mounted on and disconnect the valve and both wires and mount the new one on and reconnect both wires. and remount the valve bracket to the frig and This will replace both valves...correct?
right ,, the new valve comes complete with the mounting braket so all you have to do to swap them over and yes it is a molded unit and you can't replace just one part, you have to replace the complete valve / larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I hope this is my last question. We plugged the frige up about 4 hours ago. It's making ice, but some of the food we put in the freezer seems to be soft. We did leave the food out of the old freezer for about 1 hour before we put it into the new one. Could this be because I've open the door some many times over the last 4 hours trying to trouble shoot the problem?
yes ,,, it just lost temp from the door being open so much ,,, it will be froze by morning ,,, nothing to worry about / larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Larry,

I believe you've done a good job and I appreciate you helping me. I'm glad to accept and make payment. In the future if I need to use Justanswer, how can I request to have you help me? I've provided my email address. If you can send me yours and I could email you before I logged in, you could be watching for me.

Thanks very much,

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

we cant see emails and not allowed to give out any but if you put my name at the begining of your request i will be able to pick it up ,,, they other guys will pass it onto me
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Perfect! have a good evening.
thank you and you have a good evening too / larry