Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE profile Model PTC 22 - top freezer. Water will drip into

GE profile Model PTC 22 - top freezer. Water will drip into the refrigerator during the defrost cycle.   How do I gain access to the drain line? The entire back of the refrigerator is sealed and does not allow for access.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
you have to pull everything out of the freezer. Remove the screws that hold the back panel in. This will allow you to use a hair dryer to defrost the drain pan below the evaporator coils. Thaw out all the ice and you will see the drain hole. Many technicians will wrap a piece of copper wire around the heater and extend it into the drain hold so that the unit's drain line does not freeze up in the future.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have removed all the screws on the back of the freezer which allowed me to remove the ice maker, but not the small center panel that is the housing for the light and the rear duct for the freezer. The panel acts as if it is glued in the center. The outside edges of the panel will flex but something seems to be holding this duct in place.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
the duct is held in place because of the ice build up at the bottom. If it seems as though the panel is also held at the top then that front panel is probably just clipped onto the back panel and you need to unclip it so you can get to the screws behind it.