Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My GE model no tbx 14s abnraa refrigerator freezer section

My GE model no tbx 14s abnraa refrigerator freezer section freezes for awhile then goes to defrost and back to freezing. Is the defrost control defective?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 7 years ago.
Hello do you see frost on the back panel of the freezer section? Can you double check the model number thanks?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The cubes freeze and then melt and then freez again over and over
Ok im with you how old is this model also can you look at the model again thanks?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX one inside of the refrigerator - I don't know how old but etimate at least 5 + years. The serial number is XXXXX i have looked up the parts list and tere is adefrost control shwoing.
When the unit stops cooling and thaws out does the unit not turn on for awhile or does it run but not cool. You could have a bad defrost timer or a different part of the defrost system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't have the unit at this location I will have to check it aout and come back later

Ok the defrost heater could be at fault you will need to test it for ohm it should have at least 20ohm if that test ok check the thermostat on the evaporator it should have resistance as well if both test ok the timer will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
before i agree that this is an acceptable answer, i have aquestion- if the freeze control is not working will the "warm part' of the refrigerator still be cooling?
If the freezer does not cool the fresh food will not either the frezzer cools the fresh food section the fan in the freezer blows cold air into the fresh food section.