Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

My refrigerator began to smell like freon gas a few days ago.

Customer Question

My refrigerator began to smell like freon gas a few days ago. It hasn't been moved, nothing has changed.   what should I check? It is less than 4 yrs old
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.
Hello is the unit cooling correctly? Also what is the model number? Where did the smell come from?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Seems to be cooling properly. It is a side by side. Smell only on refrigerator side not on freezer side. model GSC23LSRB
Ok thanks freon has no smell there is no refrigerant lines in the fresh food section. I would check the drain pan under the unit sometimes they can have build up and start to smell if not i would put baking soda in the fresh food.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a chemical smell, it is not a food smell. the drain pan is clean - already checked - smell is strongest when it hasn't been opened in a while.
Wow there is no chemicals in there. Were at in the fresh food do you smell it on top bottom??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
seems to be more at the top where there is only bottled juices
Ok the only thing up there that could even remotely smell like something is the damper on the left if this model has the express cool the fan motor could smell like eggs or like electrical. These are the only things in there that could smell.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not electrical - not like eggs - like a chemical spray - plastic almost - but really like the smell from an automobile air conditioner
Take the filter off and smell it??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
which filter - I checked water filter and it is fine (and relatively new) I don't see another removable filter inside the frig part
That is the only filter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well then I am back to where I started.
I will opt out so another tech can help.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
How old is the unit?