Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a heavy gas smell when I turn on my oven. The oven

I have a heavy gas smell when I turn on my oven. The oven turns on and heats up but not like before.    The smell is not present when the oven is not turn on. The smell is also present when i turn on the stove top but not as strong. it is not coming from the main line. Please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
this usually means it's time for a new glow igniter. If your igniter becomes weak and draws less than 3.2 amps then it will crack the valve open for a bit before it opens it every time the flame turns on which fills your house with gas. You can check if the ampdraw is less than 3.2 if you have an amp clamp, otherwise you can just replace the igniter.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would this also apply to the range top?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
no, the range top is a different issue, but it amounts to making air intake adjustments so that the flames burn cleaner. There is always gas that comes out when using gas stove--- I can't tell you if yours is excessive or not but that is why they require to have a ventilation fan outside above any indoor gas cooktop.