Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

What are the pros and cons on Glass tops stoves vs. coil

What are the pro's and con's on Glass tops stoves vs. coil burner cooking ranges? Are their problems with either?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 7 years ago.
The pros on a glass top is they are very easy to clean and the elements very rarely fail. The only con is if the Glass gets damaged or cracks it cost like 400 just for the part. The pros of a coil burner are they are very easy to work one being open. The cons are The burnes wiggle when you put a pan on them and the connections get weak under the top. They are hard to keep clean to. I would recommend a glass top any day over the coil.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have heard that there are lots of problems with the glass cook tops breaking when something is dropped on them (like having kids aroud), what is the sot to replace the top? Are you saying $400, and what is the cost to replace the coils if they become damaged as well?

The coils are separate from the glass top. They are just mounted under it. The 400 dollars is just for the glass itself. If you are afraid something might drop on it then I wouldn't get one.