Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have an older model Amana 27 side by side refrigerator freezer.

Customer Question

I have an older model Amana 27 side by side refrigerator freezer. I cannot find the model number. The freezeer has stopped making ice althoughwhater flows through the water output. The cube maker is moving but no water is going into the ice maker itself. What is the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 8 years ago.

hi how is the temp in the freezer?

do you notice any water leaking?

thx randy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The temperature in the freezer is sufficiently low to freeze the water. No water is leaking,. No water appears to be feeding from the water supply tube. The model number is: SZD27MBW.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 8 years ago.

hi if the freezer is cold enough then a few things could be happening ,ive seen the plastic tube at the back of the fridge get hot and brittle and crack,so when it goes to fill the icemaker it just sprays out the back instead of the icemaker,not necessarily enough to cause it to leak out the front,if your able to i would pull fridge out and check the plastic tubing

valve could be faulty,even though its a dual valve one solenoid could be faulty,its gets 120 volts when filling

also at the back you can pull the ice maker fill tube hose out at top right and make sure fill tube is not frozen

ive had quite a few cracked water lines,definately check that

if all those ok icemaker may be faulty(not to likely) not energizing solenoid,but anythings possible

let me know any problems

thx Randy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I checked the rubber hose and it was clear. The water supply tot the water output on the freezer doors works fine. I think I have a bad solenoid. Do you know wher I can get oen In Reno, NV or where I can order one to replace the old one on the backof the freezer. I think I had this problem once before eyars ago and it looks like I have it again. The flipper want ot work but without any water feeding into the ice tray all I get is nothing.

Thanks

Sandy F

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 8 years ago.

you can get one here,order it online if you want

Randy

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-SZD27MBW-%3d%3di1018&PartID=1018

thx

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I pulled the refrigerator back from the wall and no water was seen indicating that everything is intact in the water flow system. The following was recommended by you to fix the refrigerator and i have a question. "Icemaker water inlet valve for water and ice through the door, with 2 coils & outlets, and multi-position solenoids. Requires hose type water line connection.
Recommended related item(s): 225128,1190" I noticed a long black aluminum plate on the back of the refrigerator. Do I remove this plate in order to replace the above noted ite, (water inlet valve). If not where is the water inlet valve located. Any chances of get a drawing of the location of this item?

thanks

Sandy F

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 8 years ago.

the valve is on the bottom near the compressor in the bottom corner,looks like that picture

if you have the fridge out that panel has tubes going up to the icemaker inlet tube,did you take that off and see if it was plugged? frozen solid?

Randy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I ordered the part you recommended (the water valve). Is there any tricky about replacing the old valve and outting in the new one. I looked at the old valve and it appears to be held on by two hex screws and there are some wire connections. Any recommendations to make this exchange easier?

Thanks

Sandy Friedlander

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 8 years ago.
wire for wire on the valves,doesnt really matter what kind of screws hold it in

thx randy