Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

old tappan wall oven

Customer Question

My pilot stays lit but the burners do not ignite when turning oven thermostat to bake or broil.   Thinking to replace thermostat and heat probe but can't find one for my oven. I've tried appliance sites and my model number is XXXXX in the system. Any suggestions? Is there another problem or part that may be the root cause other than thermostat?
Brett
Category: Appliance
Expert:  J. James replied 5 years ago.

What is your model #?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
AZ12-1XXX-XX-XXXX8-8621 I have not found any DB that has this number.
Expert:  J. James replied 5 years ago.

Does your wall oven have a clock/timer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, it does

It has a switch for cook hrs and has a postion for "man" manual I think?

Expert:  J. James replied 5 years ago.

Make sure the switch is on manual then try to bake again.

Let me know if it works.

If it does, please click to "accept" my question.

Thank You

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I've tried that several times as I remember the year before that was the problem.

I have the gas and power off and access to that component. I am thinking to disconnect the two black wires that run from the cook timer to the thermostat to see if "bake" works indicating that it is the timer switch?

Expert:  J. James replied 5 years ago.

try turning both timer dial to the right a few rotations (one at a time). you want to make sure both dials popped out and not pushed in.

then try the oven again.

let me know how it goes asap. i will be up a little longer.

if it works, please click the green "accept" (this is the only way I get paid for my time)

Thank You

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just tried and nothing. the left dial has "man" then "hold" then numbers for hrs. The dial just to the right of that one labeled timer has 2 orange indicators and one white and "off" position. I assuming sec, min, hrs. any special combo the indicators should be in ?
Expert:  J. James replied 5 years ago.
can you send me a picture of the control panel? you can attach a picture using the icon with the tree in the tool bar directly above this text box.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry took so long Having trouble with pic size.

I made to a PDF but not can't attach a PDF ?

Expert:  J. James replied 5 years ago.

I am going to opt-out of this question to allow another tech to try to help you.

Thank you for allowing me to try.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I live in townhome complex and my neighbor has one of these that he doesn't use and is going to replace, he told me that I am welcome to strip down some parts so I am planning to go that route. I was hoping to find a manual or some good guidence but no one wants to touch this... You are the second one.

Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
hi ,, maybe i can help ,,,, the model number didnt show up ,,,, open the oven door and look around and see if there is a tag with the model and serial on it and send me the model number ,,,, i will stick it out with you / Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

AZ12-1XXX-XX-XXXX8-8621

5859 G48

those are all the numbers on the tag

thanks but the numbers comes out like this ,,,,, AZ12-1XXX-XX-XXXX8-8621
it thinks its a phone number or something ,,,, try to send it again and a dot where the slash is
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
AZ12.1XXX-XX-XXXX8.8621
i got AZ12-1 but then it shows XXX ,,, so leave off the part i have and lets see if the rest will come in to me
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1441 30 11148
the model still dont come up but after reading all of this and see it has a pilot and he asked all this about the clock and all ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all you need is the safely valve ,,, its not getting hot enought by the pilot to let the gas come in ,,,,,, i cant find a part number cause the model dont work for me but you said someone has a oven like yours and you can get parts ,,, that be the way to go ,,, if the sensor was bad the pilot would not stay on ,,, hope this helped
Please hit the ACCEPT button cause thats how we are paid / Thanks ,,, Larry
Bonuses are WELCOMED but are not mandatory
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you help me locate which part is the safety valve?

Where is it located ?

cant tell for sure cause i cant see your model but if you look in the unit where the pilot is there is a tube sticking into it and its part of the valve so take it loose and follow the tube and you will find the valve ,,,, hope this helps / larry