Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

We have a Frigidaire Tumble Action washer Model #and it has

We have a Frigidaire Tumble Action washer Model #and it has started making a very loud noise (thumping & whining)at the end of the wash cycle, when the acitator is spinning at high speed - regardless of how large a load or how well balanced it is. What do we need to do to fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Can we get the model number please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for overlooking giving you that to start. Our washer is a 4 year old model #FTF630AS0 that is used every day. This noise has been getting louder and louder until now it is at the point that it sound like it might blow up when the drum is spinning at high speed.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

can you remove the back cover on the machine?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I get back home in a couple of hours I can. What would I be looking for when I remove it?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
I want to make that the large pulley has not come loose on the machine, these are known for this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have now pulled the back cover off and found the 9/16 bolt on the large pulley is tight. What else should I look for?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Does that pulley wobble when you shake it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No the pulley is very tight. It does not wobble. When I remove the belt and spin the drum with the pulley - it is not quiet. Should it be?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

That was the next thing, your rear bearing is going out, I was hoping for the pulley being the problem. This is a very very expensive repair The cost associated with this repair is over $500.00 for a service company to reapir, It is going to require what they call a "WASH GROUP A" repair kit and takes about 2 to 3 hours for an experienced tech to do.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ouch. Does this mean you believe we need to replace the full "SHELL-REAR/BEARING (SHELL-REAR/BRG&GSKT)" - item #22 on the attached drawing?#22 - SHELL-REAR/BEARING
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Ouch is putting it mildly, This is like needing chemotherpy to do and hope that it doesn't come back later like cancer.

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I really wish you had answered my last question - "Does this mean you believe we need to replace the full "SHELL-REAR/BEARING (SHELL-REAR/BRG&GSKT)" - item #22 on the attached drawing?"
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Yes number 22 and possiblly the inner tub with the spinner can be also broken off the inner tub. or gouged from the bearing,