Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Agitator is slipping on a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washer. Why?

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washer. The agitator is slipping and does not agitate the clothes. Is there something I can do to fix it (I can't find the manual)?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 8 years ago.

Yes there is something you can do. This is a easy fix! When you try to turn the agitator by hand, does it not grab either?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It spins freely clockwise, and only "catches" counter clockwise. In other words I can still turn it counter clockwise.

Ok, when you start a load does it agitate somewhat?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Sort of, but it is getting worse it seems.

Ok,

The agitator dogs are worn. Very common issue. The part is about 3 dollars. Take the top off the agitator, then the agitator will come off. The top will pop off. You will see the yellow agitator dogs. These get worn and will need to be replaced. Take your model number to the local appliance parts house. They will stock the agitator dogs!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There is a cover over the "dogs". How do I get that off?

That top part will just pop off! Then there is a 7/8 bolt in the bottom. The agitator will come out. Then it will split in half. You have to pop it apart.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I see a 7/16 bolt in the middle of the"dogs", but if I turn it, the base of the agitator rotates. Should I be holding that still while I try to turn the bolt? When you say it will split in half, do you mean the top from the bottom? Sorry if I am so lame!

That is ok. Yes you have to hold the bottom of the agitator while turning the bolt, once the agitator comes out. Yes, it will separate with a good pull!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I could not separate the agitator into two pieces. Should I take the whole agitator to my local parts store and have them pull it apart? Or am I missing something?

No. Once you have the agitator out, it will pop apart. You are not missing anything. If you cannot pop it, then you may have to take it down there!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am back from getting my dogs replaced! Now there is a thin gasket that fell out when I finally got the 2 parts apart. Where does it go?

Is it black? What is the model number?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The gasket is whitish 3" in diameter to the outside with 1 1/2 " opening. It is about 1 millimetre thick and it has square perforations on it that protrude. I think the model is 3 9 5 1 6 0 8 .

Ok, this part goes on the agitator's bottom part before you put the top part on! The model is on the machine under the lid straight back!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Model - LSQ7030LQ0.

Do the perforations that stick out face down or up?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes! I got it all back together. I am back and running. Thanks to you!!!! Thank you for your help. I will definitely use this site again!

You bet. Thank you!