Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Amana refrigerator not working. Freezer has frost build-up

My Amana BR 18 refrigerator is not working. The freezer is working, but there is frost build-up on the back wall. I do not know the age of the refrigerator but it appears to be around 5 years old.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

There appears to be a defrost problem. You will need to unplug the refrigerator and remove the back panel in the freezer and use a hair dryer to remove the frost from the coils. Plug refrigerator back in and let it run over night and get back with me tomorrow afternoon. If you have a volt meter, I can tell you what to check. The freezer needs to be cold to test. Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do I need to access the back or can I get to the next test from the front? Given the location of the fridge, I had to take the doors off to access the coils as the doors do not open all the way.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

You will need to do this from the front. Once your refrigerator is cold you need to test the defrost thermostat and the heater. The thermostat needs to be cold. You can do this tonight if you want but it should be cold enough by now if you did this today. More than likely it's your thermostat. If you can get me a full model number, I can get a picture of the thermostat to you so you know what to look for.