Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I need to clean the drip pan on a Kenmore Elite side by side

Customer Question

I need to clean the drip pan on a Kenmore Elite side by side refrigerator. I've removed the front grill and water filter, but there isn't enough play in the water lines for me to push the filter housing out of the way such that the drip pan can be pulled out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.
Hello do you have the water filter housing housing un bolted? Also have you tried to pull it out the back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I've unbolted the filter housing and tried to swing it out of the way. Not enough play in the water lines at the back of it. I've not tried removing pan from the back b/c it looks like there's even more stuff in the way back there.
Ok you can try to get to the back and unhook the water lines from the filter housing to move it out of the way if it still does not give you enough room you will need to take it out the back by removing the water valve and what ever else is in the way. These are not made to come out as you are finding out but with a little work and effort they will.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It almost looks like the water lines attach to the back of the filter housing via a removable part. But I don't want to twist too hard on this for fear of breaking it. Does this manner of joining the water lines to the filter housing sound familiar to you, or am I asking for trouble if I twist or pry on this piece?
You should not have to twist the connector is a john guess fitting you need to push the circular part down and pull the line out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying the filter housing and circular water line piece MIGHT indeed come apart? Without twisting?
Yes the line that goes into the housing has a quick disconnect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. There are two lines going into the piece that connects at the back of the housing. Do I push THAT piece down so that it will come off the housing?
Yes its hard to explain and i do not have a pic but were the line goes in there is a little circular piece to push in and the line will pull out!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are two lines going into that piece. There is nothing resembling a quick disconnect. But this piece and the filter housing are definitely two separate pieces and I'm guessing they are meant to come apart. But I can't get anything to happen when I push down on the piece with the water lines running to it. This piece will move A LITTLE with a twisting motion. I'm no weakling . . . I just need to know which way to push or twist or whatever so I don't break anything. Does that make sense?
What is the model number?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
106.53609201
Were the two lines hook to the back of the housing right were the line goes in the plastic piece has to be pushed down and the line will come out. The back part does not twist off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No luck pushing down. The more I look at this the more I'm convinced the only way it will come off is by twisting. I'm just going to throw some baking powder in that damn drip pan and live with whatever slight odor remains. Thanks for trying.

Ok sorry dont twist it though it will brake!! Baking soda should cure your issue!

Experience: Factory Trained CFC Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's what I meant--baking soda. Even have some. I won't twist or do anything else to this stupid thing . . . maybe I'm weaker than I thought! Since the pan is mostly dry I won't sweat it. Glad to hear you think the baking soda trick might help. Take it easy.

Good luck!!