Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Why is my GE Model # XXXXX microwave shutting down mid-progress

sounds like fan has a hard time running, then microwave shuts off mid-progress and all the LED lights light up asking to please re-program starting with clock function.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
if its a fan you hear struggling this may be the cooling fan. heres a picture of it. Part 911080this is located behind the control panel but the whole microwave has to come apart to replace this. microwaves are dangerous to work on and store lethal amounts of voltage even when unplugged. please consider calling for service or replacing microwave, its almost cheaper to replace now days.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So what you're saying is if the fan is struggling or bearings are worn out, there's a circuit breaker or safety that shuts the microwave off and asks to be re-programmed? also, there must be a way to eliminate the voltage so it can be worked on???

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
basically the safety thermostat shuts it down when it runs to hot. you should ground out the capacitor before attempting repairs. I was just giving you advice so save you from injury. I wouldn't feel very good if someone got hurt because I didn't warn them. I give the same advice when people call my company for advice. thanks Bryan