Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Maytag model MSD2556AE side by side refrigerator will not

Customer Question

My Maytag model MSD2556AE side by side refrigerator will not freeze ice solid and the frig will not get cooler then 55 deg.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? move your food and look real good, let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes about half way down in the back
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to replace the adaptive defrost board in this. the problem is the factory boards don't work , i've had to replace about a dozen of these with after market boards the only place I've found to get the ones that work is http://midwayparts.net/ and tell them you need part #NNN-NN-NNNNand there even cheaper tha the originals. and they give you a year warranty. this is what it looks like Part 948430also you need to remove the back panel in the freezer and take a hair dryer to the frost and get it cleaned out of all the coils, this will make it run normal until the part arrives. then get back to me and I'l explain how to instal it. hope this helps thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took the back panel in freezer out and found all the ice. I am defrosting it now,then I can plug it back in and see if it is running good. If it does I will order the part but I am not clear on how to get back to you. Do I email you direct or do I come back thru this web site?
So far you are my hero and am very glad I found you. I had a service man coming tomarrow and if this is the problem as you say then he mignt have defrosted it so that it would run but then he would have to order a part and come back to install it. They were going to charge me 56$ just to come out. This should be a lot cheaper as long as it is not to hard to install the replacemet part. Is it in the same area as the coils just higher up?
Or is somewhere hard to get at?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to bother you again but the link to the web site you gave dosn't let me order. It is just a page with the company name and information about the company. Where else could I look?
Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
all you have to do is call and they send it right to you. this is the only place I trust to send the after market ones and not the original maytag board. they look the same but don't work. as far as installing this its a little tricky but I think you can probably do it. the other problem is the service man will probably get an original part and tell you its the same. its not and they don't work ,I know I have had to go and change every one of the maytag boards I installed and failed. (at my own exspence mind you) I'll never use a maytag board again. at worst order the part and have a tech come out and install it for you, allot of company's charge you a return trip to come back. also once you have this defrosted it should be good for about three- four weeks before this happens again. this will give you plenty of time to recieve the part and get it installed. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You sure were right, the frig and freezer are working fine.
Thanks a lot.
I will order the part today if I can if not Monday for sure.So why don't you tell me where it is on the frig and how to put it in and we will be done and it will be up to me then!
Thanks again and hope to here from you soon.
George
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to take the controls down inside the refrigerator section , the hardesty part is to get the plastic cowling down where your slide controls are . if you reach all the way back to the rear wall of refrigirator you will see two holes you put your fingers in and release the clips and slicde the entire cowling forward and it will come down and ouy. be careful not to break the plastic clips holding this up in the back . once thats off there will be two phillip heads screws and two 1/4" screws holdining the rest of the assembly up . the phillips head screws are a little hard to see there about half way back. once these are out the defrost board is in the right rear corner when you get it down. unplug it and plug the new one in and put back together then plug refrigerator back in. thats it. click here for diagrams. http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/model-display.php you board is # XXXXX the cowling is # XXXXX hope this helps , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been trying to order my part Midwayparts is not answering their phone, so I was looking online for someone else that has the part. I think I have found the part but the number is XXXXX different from the one you gave me.
the number I find is 61005988
the number you gave me is XXXXXXXXXbr />Is this the same part?
George
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I talked to midway they were having phone problems this morning , they are calling you back . thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I now have order the replacement part, so you can tell me how to install it.
Thanks again and I will now Accept the answer so you will get paid.
Hope to hear from you soon.
George
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thanks George , happy new year, I did send info on how to replace it but i guess it didnt go through, I'll write up instuctions tomorrow if thats ok . long day very tired,let me know thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sitting here and want to get you some diagrams and try to explain how to change this. heres the diagram where the board is located. click here, http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/model-display.php part # XXXXX is what we need to get to. its in the back inside refrigerator section. we need to get the control assembly down to replace this. we need to remove the light shield first part# XXXXX thats done by reaching all the way to the rear of it and on each side there will be finger holes to put your fingers up into. then pull forward gently to release this. once thats down you will see two 1/4" screws holding part # XXXXX up take those out and remove that. then remove the screws maked# XXXXX on the diagram ,( these are hard to see) they are back a little further than the others. after you get them out the whole assembly will come down . then you need to reach back and unplug the board. and install the new one(be sure to use the plastic cover that comes with the new one) then put it all back together, this is a little though to do but I believe you can do it, just ask me if I can help further, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Why didn't you have get the part from pcappliancerepair.com ? Looks like they sell it for about 20$ less, or am I reading something wrong?

George
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
because the ones that come from pcappliance are original maytag adaptive defrost boards and they dont work, I've had to replace almost a dozen of those and at my expence because they fail just like the ones they put in the refrigerators when they made them and they didnt work, allot of these sites claim there fine but I've tried them and there not, the ones I buy now I have not had to go back on at all. same # XXXXX maker , just didnt want these people to have trouble a month from now, from now on would you please use the pm to contact me and I'll be glad to talk to you there, thats the way just answer wants us to do it, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry George I thought you were another tech. , but the explaination is the same , they sell originals under same part#s . been through that before, I sent you to someone I trust and know the parts work. didnt want you to come back a month from now with the same problem. it took me awhile to find ones that I didnt have to go back and replace. I've researched these and found them for as little as $35.00 but they didnt work either. believe me it was worth the extra 20 to not have to go through this again.also they give you a full year warranty no questions asked, where the orther company's are 90 days pretty good warranty I'd say right? hope this helps , thanks and happy new year. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the explaination, you are right I do not want to have to do this again. Sorry to bother you again but I don't know what pm is?
George
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome , never mind the p.m. I forgot you cant see it. that for techs. . let me know when you get the part and if you need more help, I'll be here, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
as you can see it is now July and the frig has been working fine untill the last couple of weeks. frig is back up to 55 again . I checked the cooling coils and they were froze up again. I defrosed it with a hair dryer and pluged it back in but it has not started cooling again. I can not hear it running, but the light comes on in the frig and freezer, so I think that it is getting power. Any ideas before I call a service man?
Thanks
George
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My problem is not solved, my fridg still freezes up!
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
boy I dont know why this would do this again, it could be the defrost thermostat this time or possibly the adaptive defrost board has failed again. you may want to call for service this time , you may have a short or something in this. sorry to hear its down again, thanks Bryan, P'S. for some reason i didnt get the july post.!