Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Amana side by side fridge freezer is warming up from the

Customer Question

My Amana side by side fridge freezer is warming up from the bottom, food in freezer is thawing at the bottom and the fridge is not cold enough - is there anything I can do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you hear any buzzing or clicking comming from the back of refrigerator near the compressor? also check the fan near the compressor and make sure it hasnt stoped. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No buzzing or clicking and the fan seems to be working - warmest place in the freezer is at the bottom of the door - all food there has defrosted. Food right at the top fine - fridge not very cold
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is there any frost on the back panel in side the freezer section? look real good and remove food to get a good look. let me know thanks Bryan. p.s. is the compressor running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes there is particularly at the bottom - I think the compressor is running - the freezer sounds are normal
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you have a defrost problem. all you cold air comes from the freezer section and cools the refrigerator section. first thing you need to do is unplug the machine and defrost it . take the rear panel off the freezer secyion and take a hair dryer to the frost( and there will be allot) behind the panel , do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity? let me know Thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have a volt meter and don't know how to check continuity - shall I go ahead and defrost anyway?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes this will fix it temporally ( about three weeks) before this happens again. if you get me model # XXXXX can see what goes on your model# XXXXX most and causes this. thanks Bryan, p.s. get some towels when you do this , there will be water, dont use anything but a hair dryer to defrost this> i.e. ice pick, screw driver to knock ice out , you will damage refrigerator.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model # XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is going to be one of a couple of things causing frost buildup , 1 the defrost timer is bad, 2 the defrost thermostat is bad , or 3 your defrost heater is bad. my guess though is the thermostat. these go the most. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help - i'll try the temp solution and maybe buy a new fridge freezer as this one is seven years old and I have had it fixed at least 6 times!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome . happy new year and thanks. Bryan