Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kitchen Aid Refrigerator, S/S, Model # XXXXX

Customer Question

I have a Kitchen Aid Refrigerator, S/S, Model # XXXXX that will not make ice. A local repair man came to fix my Range and I asked him about it. He checked it out and said I needed to replace the "emitter & receiver" which I did. The Led light now works but still no ice. The water dispenser works. I cannot hear the motor trying to fill the ice cube maker. Could the water line to the ice maker be frozen if the water dispenser is working? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
check the black fill tube coming into the icemaker from the ceiling--- if it is frozen it will be completely frozen to the tip and usually pushed outside of the ceiling too far. If this is the case use a hairdryer to melt the ice in the fill tube.

If this is not the case then check the white prongs on your icemaker (the part that pushes out the ice from th mold) they should be pointing foward just above the horizon--- if they are in any other position then you have a bad icemaker and it needs to be replaced. This is by far the most common issue.

any more questions feel free to ask
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi..........Yes, the white prongs are just above the horizon. The water line seemed somewhat slow for the water dispenser so I checked the valve control attached to the incoming water line and it was almost totally off! I've opened it to the max and the water dispenser is spewing water faster, but not too fast.

I also checked the emitter/receiver led light and it is working correctly.

My appliance instruction book refers to a "Harvest mode". What does that mean? Could it be that the water pressure to the ice maker was to low? It says it may take 24 hours to make ice so is this a matter of wait and see?   Thanks. Mickey
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
harvest mode just means the icemaker is dumping out the ice. As for having bad water pressure it sounds like your fill tube will be frozen. If you have poor water pressure it won't go into the icemaker quick enough and it will freeze before it gets down to the icemaker. Check the black tube going into the icemaker and thaw it out if needed.

Also, yes it can take up to 24 hours to make the first batch of ice.