Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a PR650POVT select state water heater , it started leaking

Customer Question

I have a PR650POVT select state water heater , it started leaking in the on/off/pilot knob. I replaced the gas thermostat, but when i started the pilot light and fired up the heater i didn't have enough water in it and i think i activated the high temperature shutoff. so i put the old themostat back in and tried again with water in the tank, but only the pilot light runs. it won't fire up. i thought the high temp. shutoff was in the themostat. thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
you will need to replace the burner assy ,, part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNits the part that hooks to the gas themostat and runs to the inside of your water heater ,,, its comes with the burner tube and pilot / larry
Please hit the accept button cause thats how we get paid / have a great holiday / Larry
Bonuses are WELCOMED but are not mandatory
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the burner tube assy. is all external, i am trying to understand how it was affected by no water in the tank.
oh ok ... they dont affect the water amount ,,, if your water heater isnt gettin enought water then you need a plumber ,,, the tank fills up to top if water is supplied and drain down as water is used ,,, larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i think i need to start over here. it was determined that the on/off/knob was leaking gas.

i replaced the thermostat, but when i lit the pilot light it started up and then fired up and started heating. the problem was when i turned the water on i didn't have a valve on so

there wasn't water in the heater. that activated the high temperature shutoff in the gas control valve (thermostat) ,then only the pilot light would operate. so i put the old thermostat back on thinking that the high temperature shutoff was ok in it. but only the pilot works on it also. the burner assy. is all external and i didn't think it was affected by what happened. maybe i just need further explanation

yes please
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is the high temperature shutoff in the gas control valve
yes it is and after looking over the model the part number for the gas valve is 184768-000 ,,, is this the same part number on the one you replaced / larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i don't find a part no. on the valve, it was sent by the house manufacturer the box has a part no. on it XXXXXXXXXX
sound like they sent the wrong part ,,, i would call them to come out and double check the gas valve before you buy one cause the one you just got should be in warranty / larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the one i received is in warranty and is identical to the one i replaced. it started out working fine but i think the high temperature shutoff was activated. what surprises me is that when i put the old one back on, only the pilot light will work just like the new valve.

the old valve worked just fine when i took it off. it just had a leaky knob.

i would replace the new one ,,,, found new parts to go bad too
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

why do you think the old one doesn't work after putting it back on. it worked fine when i took it off. is there a parts manual online that i can look at.

i'm sorry but i do not but i will opt out on this so maybe someone can help you and may have a manual ,,,, since i will opt out you will but be charged by me ,,,, you have a great day / Larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your time, how do i get another tech online
some one should pick it up shortly
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

are you able to read the previous post

yes i was and someone should pick up on this soon