Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Maytag 25 inch French doors with Freezer on bottom. Refrigerator

Maytag 25 inch French doors with Freezer on bottom. Refrigerator stopped cooling but freezer continues to work. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
yep deffinately, these machines has some major problems with the fans in the freezer, open up the freezer door and see if the fan is blowing, if not then you need to replace it--- it's located behind the back panel of the freezer near the top middle.

This fan blows cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator--- that is how the refrigerator works.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Finally got the back panel off the freezer. Fan was stopped but started up as soon as I moved the blades. Fan rotates without a lot of force and can be stopped very simply with my hand. Is this normal?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
no I'm guessing you have a plastic looking fan, if so you have the old style--- replace it with the new one. Just type in your model number to and you can find the new fan you need.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK it is plastic. Can I just unplug it, replace the panel and save the frozen food or has the freezer been compromised too?
Thanks for your quick response.