Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a kitchen Aid refrigerator and the ice maker is not

Customer Question

I have a kitchen Aid refrigerator and the ice maker is not working. The water still works on the door, but the ice maker is not filling with water. I tried to use a blow dryer on the fill tube thinking it may of frozen up, that wasn't the problem. the light is flashing next to the ice maker on/off switch. the fridge is about 7 yrs old. Any ideas?? I'm happy to pay for any answer if it works.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
if you look at the rake (the white prongs that push out the ice) what position is it in, try to discribe it as best as possible. Also is there water or ice in the icemaker mold itself?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The rake is level, not sticking up. There is no water or ice in the mold.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
pointing foward or backwards?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The rake is pointing backwards, towards the back of the fridge.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
ok then you need a new icemaker--- your gear has broken--- you can pull the icemaker out and check the big white gear at the front by pulling the white cover off. Typically this is the gear that breaks in the middle pin--- either way the icemaker should NEVER stop in that position so you will need a new icemaker.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'll check the gear. Is there anyway to repair this? if not, how much does a new ice maker typically cost?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 years ago.
there is no way to repair this unfortunately, and the icemaker in that machine usually runs betwenn $150-180