Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years

My new microwave completely shut down two nights ago while

Customer Question

My new microwave completely shut down two nights ago while a friend was over cooking dinner on the stove below. The microwave is plugged in but no LED display and will not respond to button pushing to get it to work AT ALL. The unit was exceptionally hot on the outside when I felt it and I don't think my friend turned the fans on... but anyway. How do I get it to start working again? I checked the fuse box and everything is fine there... Thank you!!! (It's a new Maytag MMV4205BAW, if that helps)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 7 years ago.
there is a cavity fuse that if the unit gets to hot it will trop the fuse. It sits right behind the control panel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry -- are you talking about a fuse in the microwave or in my main fuse panel??? I'm not sure I understand
in the microwave. By the way you said this is new. How old is it.
if this is less then a year old it will be covered by warranty
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, how do I get to it? Is it possible for me to replace the fuse myself? Where do I get such a fuse?

I bought it in October or November, can't remember which.

I'll be happy to press accept once I understand/ have a helpful/useful response... And it doesn't really help me if I don't understand what you are saying, right? Bear with me. The website's instructions said to press accept only once I received a useful response, and right now until I understand how to move forward on this, I can't fix it!!!

Ok so you need to remove the grill then the control panel. Behind the control panel you will see a round silver thing with 2 wires coming out of it. That is the fuse. Check the fuse for countinuity with a multimeter. If it is bad replace it. It is item #20 and you can order it here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
by the grill do you mean the vent part on top of the microwave? this actually may be rather more complicated than I may be comfortable with... just to be sure, is this the part to which you refer: SW-THERMO (USE SAM DE47-20059A -- I only ask b/c it is item 20 on the list but refers to part 18 on the diagram, so I want to be sure.
it is 20 and it monts on par 18. Yes i do mean the grill.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance. I appreciate the help and happy new year!
Have a good one