Stephen R.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Trained on major home appliance brands. 3rd gen of 71+ year old family owned business. 13+ years exp

My whirlpool dryer (Model LER4634EQ0, Type 122-00) does not

My whirlpool dryer (Model LER4634EQ0, Type 122-00) does not heat on any setting. The heating element is ok. It tumbles and blows air ok. What's the most likely explanation? Thanks.

On that model dryer, there is a thermal fuse that will trip and kill the power to the heating element. It is located on the top of the heater box. When that one goes, you will also have to replace the lower hi-limit thermostat. They come as a kit because Whirlpool wants both replaced at the same time. The thermal fuse is a fail safe for when the hi-limit fails to shut off the heat. The part number for the kit is 279816.

You should also check the venting duct for any obstruction. It is usually poor air flow that will cause it to fail. Sometimes, though, it is just from the age of the parts. Look for any clog in the vent or any pinch. If your vent runs up and through the ceiling, it may be a good idea to get someone to clean that out.

Have a good one,
Stephen R.

If this answer helped, please press the ACCEPT button. If you have further questions about this issue, don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That's about what I figured. Thanks much for the part number.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That did the trick. The thermal fuse was blown. Thanks.