Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

My husband and I live in the islands. Four years ago we bought

My husband and I live in the islands. Four years ago we bought a Maytag Bottom Freezer Refrigerator (MB2227PEHW) 220v - 50 hz. We have only used it 6 months out of each year (when we are not here, we unplug it). A week after we arrived this season, it became warm and the freezer totally defrosted all of our food. It was making a "click" sound followed by about a ten second buzz. After many calls to the shop that sold it to us, the owner came and "jump started" it with a capacitor. It ran for five hours, then began clicking and buzzing again and again got warm. He returned a few days later and this time installed an extra capacitor (wired in parallel with the original one). It ran for 3 weeks, then began clicking and buzzing again. It will click and buzz on anf off and stay cold for several days, only to suddenly get warm and defrost everything. Then, as if by magic, it will get cold and refreeze everything all over again. The shop owner will not return our calls. Can you help us?

This problem is caused by bad overload / start relay on the compressor, this part number 67002166, This goes where the wires hook up to the compressor, replacing this will most likely repair the problem if it did not already damage the compressor, otherwise the compressor will need to be changed also, Living on the Islands I do not know how you will be able to order this part, It is easy to install as there is only 2 wiresto hook to it and plug onto the compressor.

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

BONUSES ARE WELCOME but are not mandatory