Stephen R.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Trained on major home appliance brands. 3rd gen of 71+ year old family owned business. 13+ years exp

my washing machine tub overflowed with only a few hand towels

my washing machine tub overflowed with only a few hand towels in it. Possible causes?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Stephen R. replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

If you would, please provide me with the make and model of your washer.

Thanks,
Stephen R.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kenmore elite 4 yr old
Great info. Just to get a more accurate answer for you, can you find the model number for that unit?

If you look under the lid, at the back of the opening of the washer, there will be a tag there. It will have 3 numbers, a period and 6 to 8 more numbers. Please enter all the numbers including the period so it will display on this website.

Ex. 110.12345678
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
110.26942502 Sorry and thanks
No problem at all. Give me a little bit and I will see what I can find out for you.

Just another question, to stop the water from coming in did you have to shut off the water at the house faucet or did just stopping the machine make the water quit?
Based on your model of washer, there are a few things that can cause an overflow.

If you had to shut off the water faucet at the home supply, then you will need to replace the water valve. (Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If you were able to shut off the machine to stop the water from coming in, you have several parts involved in the water level controls.

First thing you want to check is the air dome hose that attached to the water level control and make sure it is still connected. To access it, you will need a thin blade of some sort (like a putty knife) to slide in between the left and the right edge of the control panel. There are clips that you depress allowing you to rotate the console up and back. Easiest way to find the water level control is to look at the panel and find the control behind the knob used to set the level. Just check to make sure the clear rubber hose is still attached to the nipple of the control. If it is loose, it will not tell the control how much water is in the machine. Just press it back on to the control

If it is still attached, the control itself may be bad. If it goes bad, it will not tell the machine to stop the incoming water at the selected level. To do a general test on it, you can blow into the control and listen for a clicking noise as you put pressure on the it. If you hear the clicking noise, the control is most likely working properly. If not, you will need to replace the control

The last thing you can check is where the air dome hose connects to the tub itself. Sometimes it can get clogged with old detergent or some other kind of gunk and block the airflow to the control. To view this is a little bit more of a process. With the control panel still back, you will need to disconnect the lid switch located in the back left corner of the washer top. Then you will have to pry 2 clips from the top of the washer that hold the back panel to the washer cabinet. Easiest way to do this is to insert a screw driver in the farthest forward slot in the top panel and press backwards to release the clip. With those removed, you tilt the entire cabinet (all 3 sides and top) toward you and then unhook it from the front base of the machine.

Once you have all this removed you can see where the hose connects to the side of the tube. Just look for anything that may block the pressure from getting to the switch. If it is clogged up, use a small diameter object to clear it out.

One of the last things that can cause it to overflow, is the hose itself. If a hole develops and allows the pressure created by the water to bleed off, the switch will not know when to shut off. If it is leaking off pressure, you will have to replace the hose

Any one of these issues is a fairly inexpensive fix and worth doing to keep the machine going.

Hope that helps,
Stephen R.

If this answer helped, please press the ACCEPT button. If you have further questions regarding this problem, don't hesitate to ask.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Trained on major home appliance brands. 3rd gen of 71+ year old family owned business. 13+ years exp