Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II dryer. When we push the

I have a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II dryer. When we push the start button it starts to spin, but then immediately beeps 3 times and shuts off. We've tried different settings and shifting the load around, but nothing works. Any idea what is wrong?
is there an error code that shows up and can I get a model number to better assist you please? it should be located around the frame on a sticker if you open the door.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
MOD: GEQ9858JQ0
There isn't any display where I could see an error code.
ok on this model when it starts to spin does it spin and the timer races around to the end?? or does it just beep at you and the timer is still midway through the cycle.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the timer doesn't advance at all. It just beeps at me and the timer is still at the beginning of the cycle.
ok so sounds like you either have a bad thermistor (the thermostat for this machine). It could be out of range so that your board thinks that your dryer is catching on fire so it turns it off. Or you could have a bad even heat control board itself. To test you will have to get to the thermistor located on the inside of the unit near the front in the middle. Here is a location and breakdown. The part number is XXXXX just click on the picture to enlarge it. To test you would have to check the resistance of this part with a multimeter and it should read about 10k ohms at room temperature +/-10%

CLICK HERE

Also, the board is behind the control panel--- you can visually check this sometimes as usually a resistor on the board begins to burn when it malfunctions--- but not all the time just most of the time. Part number 3.

CLICK HERE