Stephen R.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Trained on major home appliance brands. 3rd gen of 71+ year old family owned business. 13+ years exp
13576200

Refrigerator froze up even when thermostat was at lowest s

Refrigerator froze up even when thermostat was at lowest setting
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Stephen R. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Thanks for coming to JustAnswer with your question. I just need a little more info from you to get an accurate understanding of what is going on.

First, can you please provide me with the make and model number for your unit. And second, when you say freeze up, do you mean the back wall of the freezer (assuming this is a standard refrigerator). Or do you mean things in your refrigerator section are freezing?

Thanks,
Stephen R.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
GE Side by Side Ref /Freezer Model-GSS25VFPACC
Ser# LF223087

Items in Ref Freeze up
Thanks for the quick reply. Give me a few minutes to look up some information about your refrigerator, and I will get back to as soon as I come up with something.
Alright, 2 more questions to help remove a few problems from what could be wrong.

Are the items in the lower portion of the refrigerator side (i.e. the meat and fruits/vegetable crispers) the only section freezing up? If so, is there any frost on the back wall of the freezer compartment?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I I already replied, Do You need more info?
Roy Rypins

It seems to be that only items on top shelves froze. there is a very thin layer of ice on top back wall of freezer.
Roy

There are a few things that could be causing your problem.

One of the least likely is the controls themselves are bad. This is rarely the case. They only tell the main control board what you want the refrigerator to do.

The second common failure is with the thermister (the part that reads the temperature) has gone bad and is not reporting the proper temp to the main control board. It is attached to another part that can fail. The air damper is a motorized part that will restrict the airflow coming from the freezer side into the refrigerator side to keep the refrigerator the proper temperature. If it fails to close when told, it will allow continued cold airflow into the fresh food side and cause everything to freeze.

The third and most common failure is the main control board itself. It controls the entire operation of the unit. If it is getting proper readings from the controls and thermisters and not responding properly, it will cause it to freeze up.

These parts range from moderately expensive to very expensive (main control/motherboard). If you would like part numbers for any of these pieces, just let me know.

Hope that helps,

Stephen R.

If this answer helped, please press the ACCEPT button. If you have further question about this problem, don’t hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THank you, XXXXX XXXXX a service policy from a repair service but they are closed today,
I willcontact them tomorrow.
I do accept your input with thanks XXXXX
Glad I could offer some help. Also glad you have a service policy on that unit. They can be quite expensive to repair. That motherboard alone can run anywhere from $105 to $150 depending on seller markup. Plus if the repair person diagnoses it wrong, it isn't money coming out of your pocket for that mistake and they will have to make it right.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer and have a great day.

Stephen R.