Stephen R.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Trained on major home appliance brands. 3rd gen of 71+ year old family owned business. 13+ years exp

I am trying to get a gasket for my avanti 3.5 cu.ft. chest

I am trying to get a gasket for my avanti 3.5 cu.ft. chest freezer. can you tell me ehere and how I can purchase such item    thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Stephen R. replied 5 years ago.
Hi julian_long,

Honestly, if you door gasket is bad, I don't think you want to spend the money to find a replacement part. In general, door gaskets run between $70 and $150 depending on what the manufacture wants to charge basically. It ends up being cheaper to replace the entire unit.

If the gasket is just torn slightly, you can use a silicone caulk to repair it. This is especially true if it is just in 'accordion' folds of the gasket.

Hope that helps,
Stephen R.

If this answer helped you, please press the ACCEPT button. If you have further questions on this subject, don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This does not help. My freezer is just 3 years old, about 4 months after we bougth it, Mind you ,it was left empty and open for 2 months before we started to use it. We found that the gasket was not sealing and creating a vaccum when shut, We contacted the agents here in Barbados, they sent their rep. to check, they adjusted ,brought several gaskets, and nothing worked, now they say that these gaskets for my model freezer are no longer available, yer I see the same freezers on sale on line. Can you tell me where and who I can contact to purchase a new gasket. thank you.
Sorry for the wrong response. I was under the impression that it was actually torn.

The best place to start is with Avanti themselves.
Here is their contact information: http://www.avantiproducts.com/index.php?page=contact

I would suggest calling them instead of filling out the form for them to contact you back.

If you don't mind me asking, where is the seal not making contact? Is it at the back near the hinges? The sides? The front?

Thanks again for using us at JustAnswer.
Stephen R.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
complete seal, it has gone flat.
Interesting... I am having a hard time picturing what exactly is going on with it.

When you close the lid, the seal doesn't touch the top of the freezer compartment anywhere?
Another question, did the rep that came to your house actually replace the seal with a new one or did none of the gaskets they brought fit your model?

I'm just really curious now as to what it is or isn't doing. Would really like to help you get this problem fixed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hE BROUGHT NEW ONES, BUT THEY WERE EITHER TOO LONG, OR TOO WIDE

On gaskets, a lot of times, they tend to take a set in shape. The vinyl will sag or get smashed up leaving gaps in it.

The best thing to try is to take a hair dryer or some other no flame based heat source and warm up the gasket with the lid closed. While doing so, use a non sharp, flat piece of whatever material you can find to press it down to allow the magnet to stick edge of the compartment. It is a time consuming process but you just have to work at it some. Once the seal is touching all the way around, leave the lid closed for at least a full day with the unit running. Check it often to make sure the gaps are still closed.

It is also possible that the hinge is still out of alignment and not allowing the back portion to seal up. In which case that would need to be lowered.

You can still contact them using their website http://www.avantiproducts.com/ to get further help in replacement parts and service. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, it is most likely going to be cheaper to purchase a new unit then to pay for the replacement of the gasket. Of course, it would just be great if you can get them to repair/replace the unit without cost to you. That is always worth a try to keep the money in your pocket.

Have a good one,
Stephen R.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Trained on major home appliance brands. 3rd gen of 71+ year old family owned business. 13+ years exp