Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Our GE Refrigerator (Model starts with GSS22k) is losing cooling

Our GE Refrigerator (Model starts with GSS22k) is losing cooling power... icemaker isn't making cubes and the frig is getting warmer. There's alot of frost visible on the freezer back wall. Is it worth defrosting (it is New Year's Eve and we're hosting a big party tomorrow!), or should we just wait till Friday to call a repair person? We can keep food on our back deck (it's below 30 degrees here) in the short term.

Defrost the unit tonight, it will continue to work for up to 2 weeks after that, it is either your mother board in the back or a burnt out defrost heater, the tech should have both on the truck,

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

BONUSES ARE WELCOME but are not mandatory
Chas

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hey Chas,

Thanks for the quick response!

I just checked with the wife - who is still cooking, etc. in the kitchen. She wants to know how much of a mess the defrost will cause? We can deal with emptying the fridge/freezer onto the (enclosed) back porch, but she can't deal with water all over the floor...

Thanks!
Rick

There is going to be about 16 oz to 20 oz of water and most will go into the drain pan under fridge, just lay a couple of bath towels inside the freezer and leave the door open and the power off for a few hours,

Chas

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Chas,

We're doin' it... Everything perishable is outside, unit is unplugged and towels in place! (Wife is still very unhappy, but she'll deal with it!)

One last question - is the drain pan something that I have acces to and should empty?

Rick

it will dry itself out when you start up the fridge again.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Bonuses are welcome but are not mandatory.

PLease Press Accept

Chas