Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

My range elements and oven do not heat but the lights and control

Customer Question

My range elements and oven do not heat but the lights and control panel work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

Hi ,it sounds like a power problem ,the oven needs 220-240 volts to heat but itll display and lights will work on 120 volts

check your breaker,make sure it is on,turn it off and on again

otherwise you may have a problem in the plug at the range or the range terminal block

but those are the classic symptoms of not enough volts to heat

let me know if any problems

thanks randy

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Randy,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will not be able to pull the range out until tomorrow to check the terminal block. I'm sure it's not the breaker, it never tripped and I reset it earlier to be sure. Everything on the control panel and the lights all work, just no heating.

Can I contact you again tomorrow if I need additional suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.
sure,do you have a meter? for tomorrow?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have a multi-meter.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.
see you tomorrow
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Randy,

I've unplugged the range and removed the junction block cover. All connections are tight, no sign of arcing or heat. I checked voltage and ground in the wall plug, all seems OK.

I removed the control panel and cleaned all around. No sign of arcing or heat here either. I set the control panel back in place and plugged the range in and now all burners and the oven are working again. Any idea what the problem may have been? Is there a breaker or relay that would cause this symptom inside the range? Poor contact in the wall plug limiting current flow (but why now, after 5 years)?

Thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Looking at the pigtail, I noticed one prong wasn't as scuffed as the others so I opened the receptacle. Sure enough, poor contact on that prong had overheated that contact and melted the housing. Time for a new plug. Hopefully, that's it!

Thanks,

Robert

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

sorryCustomerlate nite, sounds like your right on there,has to be a loose connection if everything shuts down,im sure youve found it good luck let me know if any problems

Randy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the receptacle with a new one and everything seems to be OK. Thanks for the feedback!
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.
glad to hear it,good luck!