Stephen R.
Stephen R., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Trained on major home appliance brands. 3rd gen of 71+ year old family owned business. 13+ years exp

my magic chef oven is locked in the cleaning cycle and there

my magic chef oven is locked in the cleaning cycle and there is plastic on the base of the oven so i want to stop the cleaning cycle an open the oven but it wont unlock can you help mme
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Stephen R. replied 7 years ago.

How long has the oven been in the self-clean mode?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we put it on last nite and had too unplug it because of the plastic burning on the bottom of the oven there was smoke in the whole house and now it is locked and won't open at all. i tried to open it manuallly but its locked.
The ovens are designed with a safety feature to not unlock until it was below 400ºF.

But if you have unplugged it and let it cool down, it should unlock when you turn the power back on and give it a min to unlock. Unless it is a manual lock (latch handle above the oven door) which should let you unlock it right away.

If you aren't able to unlock it after it has cooled down, you may have a thermostat probe that as failed.

If it is an automatic lock, you can actually use something to pull the lock open from right to left. I use a coat hanger that is folded to allow it to fit in between the door and frame.

Hope that helps,
Stephen Ranft

If this answer helped, please press ACCEPT. If you have further questions regarding this problem, don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well i tried it and it still wont open with the hanger and i turned it on and it doesnt unlock either
With the power back on to it, set it up to Self-Clean. Give it a few moments and hit Cancel.

Can you provide me with the model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

only numbers i have,are

10C XXXXXXXXXser number

model s 64h 4tkxw

Let me see if I can find something about that model number S64H4TKXW,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thats the only numbers on the oven by the draw
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
anything new to try?
On this gas oven, it has the automatic lock. You should be able to slide something to unhook the lock from the left side. It is kinda like unlocking a car.

If you are able to hook the latch and pull it to the left, it should let you open the door.

Sadly a lot of times after a self-clean, it burns out some of the components. Especially the temperature probe.

Basically the oven still thinks it is too hot to allow it to unlock and keeps it closed. More then likely you will have to replace part # XXXXX which is the temperature probe.

If you are unable to unlock it yourself, you will need to call a qualified technician because the only way to replace the part is to open the door.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for the help it still wont open but i tried