Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The pilot light on my caloric ultra ray wall oven must be out,

Customer Question

The pilot light on my caloric ultra ray wall oven must be out, since I smell "gas" and the oven does not come on when the dial is turned to on. I cannot find a model # XXXXX serial # XXXXX am concerned about safety.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
wall ovens do not have pilot lights, what it probably does have is a glow ignitor. If the ignitor has become weak or is failing to work in any way, then the gas safety valve will not open and release the gas for the burner to ignite. If you have an amp clamp you can clamp it around one of the igniter wires and if it draws less than 3.2 amps it will need to be replaced.

If it's drawing near 2.7 amps it may crack the valve open enough that it leaks gas out but it won't open enough to actually give the igniter enough gas to light.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there anything I should do to "relight" the glow igniter? How to do that safely?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
you cannot, it uses an electric current and if it changes resistance it will not light your flame. You will have to replace the glow ignitor to get it to function again there is no way around it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for a rapid and specific response
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
no problem you have a great holiday